https://bugsforbugs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Fruit-Fly-Trap.jpg 600 800 Dan Papacek https://bugsforbugs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/logo.jpg Dan Papacek2013-07-10 17:21:462022-07-15 20:12:37Monitoring Fruit Fly Populations
Why monitor fruit flies:
- Counting and recording fruit fly populations helps us understand fruit fly activity in an area.
- We can use this information to fine tune control programs.
- Put fly traps in your orchard at: 1 per ha (small orchards) 2 per ha (large orchards).
- Place each trap in a healthy fruit tree at head height.
Recording fruit fly numbers:
- Each week count, record and remove any flies that have collected in the trap.
- Replace fruit fly wick every 3 months.
- The traps only catch male fruit flies.
- The number of flies caught does not necessarily indicate the size of the population but can indicate population trends.
- Fruit fly traps do not control fruit fly. You must use protein bait sprays also to achieve this.