Monitoring fruit fly populations helps us understand fruit fly activity in an area, and we can use this information to fine tune control programs. The Fruit Fly Trap Pro specifically attracts male Queensland fruit flies.
We offer two colour variations
- Clear base with yellow lid
- Yellow base with clear lid
How does it work?
- The trap contains a cotton wick impregnated with a powerful male sex – attractant (cue lure) and an insecticide
- Male Queensland fruit flies are attracted from distances of up to 400 meters and collect in the trap where they can be counted
How many traps do I need?
- 1 trap per 5-10 ha (minimum 3 traps per farm)
How to assemble the Fruit Fly Trap Pro
- Wear gloves (to avoid contact with the pheromone wick)
- Push hook through lid into pheromone wick holder
- Insert 4 plastic entry ports into side of trap (align tab at top of hole)
How to deploy the Fruit Fly Trap Pro
- Place traps in areas where fruit fly is likely to be active (e.g. along – borders and rivers/waterways)
- Hang at head height in host tree/crop shaded from direct sunlight – empty traps and record fly catches at least weekly
- Replace pheromone wick every three months Replacement Q Fly Wicks are available from Bugs for Bugs
How to interpret your trap counts
Male traps are a useful tool for monitoring population trends but trap counts must be interpreted carefully. It is important to note that:
- These traps only catch male fruit flies
- Trap counts are not a good indication of potential for fruit fly damage in the crop (your monitoring program should include regular crop – inspections, looking for adult flies and evidence of stinging)
- Fruit fly traps do not control fruit fly
- MAT cups compete with male fruit fly traps, affecting the results of traps set up for the purpose of monitoring. It is important to take this into account when using male trap counts to assess fruit fly activity. We suggest that you do not place too much emphasis on the actual numbers of fruit fly caught in traps but rather focus on population trends