Fruit Fly Lure is an autolysed protein highly attractive to Queensland and Mediterranean fruit flies. It needs to be mixed with a toxicant and can then be used to attract and kill adult fruit flies.
This protein bait is recommended for use as part of a systems approach which includes Fruit Fly Traps and MAT cups. For more information on protein baiting and fruit fly management, visit our fruit flies page.
About protein bait sprays
How does it work?
- A protein + toxicant attracts and kills female flies
- Female fruit flies must feed on protein before they can sting fruit
How to mix our protein bait
- For best results, use with our Fruit Fly Lure Thickener
- Mix thickener with water 24 hours before use
- Add Bugs for Bugs Fruit Fly Lure at 2 L per 100 L of thickened water
- Add toxicant at the label rate
How to apply our protein bait
- Apply fresh on day of mixing
- Use 15 L of mixture per ha
- Apply as a spot or band to the host plants or suitable substrate
- Note: this is not a cover spray
When to apply
- Start early (before fruit becomes susceptible) and continue for at least 3 weeks after harvest
- Apply every 5-7 days (more often if you see any signs of damage or increased fruit fly activity)
- Re-apply after rain
How much Fruit Fly Lure do I need?
Our Fruit Fly lure comes in four pack sizes:
- 1 L (roughly enough to treat 1 ha 3 times)
- 2.5 L (roughly enough to treat 1 ha 7.5 times)
- 5 L (roughly enough to treat 1 ha 14 times)
- 15 L (roughly enough to treat 1 ha 42 times)
Tips for best results
- Start early – at least 2 weeks before fruit becomes susceptible
- Apply regularly
- Don’t miss a treatment
- Increase frequency during high risk periods
- Add Fruit Fly Lure Thickener for best results
- Protein bait should ideally be placed on foliage or trunk of the host plant
- Do not apply protein bait to ground or grass
- Note that protein bait may cause fruit burn – test before use and minimise fruit contact
- Treating larger areas including non-fruiting blocks and surrounds will improve results
View the Fruit Fly Lure product label.
View the Fruit Fly Lure Safety Data Sheet.