Used with a trap, this pheromone lure provides an effective tool for monitoring populations of sweet potato weevil (Cylas formicarius).
Tips for use
- Instal traps containing the lure in the field at planting
- Deploy at a rate of between 1 trap per hectare (for small blocks) and 1 trap per 5 hectares (for large blocks)
- A dichlorvos square (1 cm x 1 cm) can be placed in the trap as a killing agent to prevent beetles from escaping
- Place traps at 30 cm above the ground, or place the top of the trap level with top of the crop canopy
- Check traps weekly – empty out captured beetles and record numbers (measure volumetrically for big catches)
- Replace lures every 4-6 weeks
This product is not yet registered for use as a mass trapping tool to control sweet potato weevil, however it has potential to be used in an attract and kill strategy. If traps are deployed at higher rates (up to 4 traps per hectare), it may be possible to attract and kill enough beetles to see a reduction in numbers over time.